25 Best Chili Recipes – Simmering chili in Instant Pots, stovetops, and slow cookers ushers in the cooler weather, and we’ve gathered some of the BEST CHILI RECIPES – there is something on this list for everyone! We have everything from hearty chili recipes with meat, chili with beans, no bean-chili, and vegetarian recipes.
When you crave a cozy bowl of chili with all the toppings, you will FALL hard for this list of the 25 best chili recipes!
WHAT’S THE SCOOP ON CHILI?
As soon as the first leaf changes color (usually September 1st), my mind shifts to fall comfort food regardless of the weather. There is something soothing about a piping hot bowl of homemade chili, and it’s the perfect meal for potlucks, get-togethers, game nights, and cook-offs.
WHAT’S THE BEST PROTEIN FOR CHILI?
25 BEST CHILI RECIPES
Chili is a hearty one-pot meal that’s easy to make and sure to feed a crowd; how to prepare the chili and what you include differs regionally, but we have a ton of variations to choose from.
- 1. Chili Con Carne with Beans
- 2. Chocolate Lamb Chili
- 3. Dutch Oven Chili
- 4. Best Beef Chili
- 5. Sweet and Spicy Chili
- 6. Turkey Chili
- 7. Best Vegan Chili with Beans and Millet
- 8. Butternut Squash Chickpea Chili
- 9. Spicy Chickpea Chili
- 10. Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 11. Instant Pot Chili Verde
- 12. Instant Pot Pozole Rojo
- 13. Instant Pot No Bean Turkey Chili
- 14. Instant Pot Vegetable Chili with Quinoa
- 15. Low-Carb Keto Chili
- 16. Paleo Chili
- 17. Slow Cooker Beef Chili
- 18. Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- 19. Cincinnati Chili Copycat
- 20. Bacon Cheeseburger Chili
- 21. Elk Chili
- 22. Fall Pumpkin Chili
- 23. Five Bean Chili
- 24. One Pot Chili Mac
- 25. Turkey Pumpkin Chili
HEARTY CHILI RECIPES
1. Chili Con Carne with Beans
Warm up with a heaping bowl of this savory, southwest-style chili. Our authentic chili con carne with beans recipe is my take on an old classic with hearty beef chuck, black beans (gasp! I know), and a satisfying combination of chilies.
3. Dutch Oven Chili
Our easy dutch oven chili is a hearty and delicious dump and go recipe that’s perfect for gatherings, potlucks, or a comforting meal at home – you can also pack up the ingredients to make campfire chili for a cozy outdoor adventure.
4. Best Beef Chili
Make the best beef chili by combining simple ingredients like bacon and ground beef, like our baked beans with hamburger, and simmer on the stovetop for 30 minutes.
5. Sweet and Spicy Chili
Sweet and spicy chili is loaded with delicious beef and a perfect blend of warm spices to deliver an award-winning chili recipe to impress your family and friends!
6. Turkey Chili
Flavorful turkey chili will satisfy even the heartiest of appetites. It’s packed with lean ground turkey, three kinds of beans, and a variety of spices.
VEGETARIAN CHILI RECIPES
7. Best Vegan Chili with Beans and Millet
Make the best vegan chili with beans and millet! It’s a hearty and satisfying vegan chili – loaded with vegetables, legumes, and whole grains.
8. Butternut Squash Chickpea Chili
Prepare the butternut squash and chickpea chili recipe in your slow cooker or stovetop; the chili is full of veggies and protein.
INSTANT POT CHILI RECIPES
10. Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Instant Pot white chicken chili is layered with chicken, white beans, corn, and a well-spiced broth to make a hearty and filling chili that’s ready in under an hour!
11. Instant Pot Chili Verde
Make Instant Pot chili verde – the juicy tender chicken cooks in tangy-hot-savory-umami homemade roasted green chili sauce.
12. Instant Pot Pozole Rojo
Instant Pot pozole rojo is a hearty chili made with tender pork and filling hominy, simmered in a flavorful chili broth, and garnished with fresh toppings.
14. Instant Pot Vegetable Chili with Quinoa
Instant Pot vegetable chili with quinoa is an easy, comforting weeknight meal made with black beans, quinoa, and veggies – it’s loaded with protein and fiber!
16. Paleo Chili
Paleo chili recipe is right up there with traditional chili; it’s filling and full of delicious flavor from the veggies and meat.
SLOW COOKER CHILI RECIPES
17. Slow Cooker Beef Chili
Slow Cooker beef chili is a family favorite that tastes great paired with a big, buttery hunk of cornbread.
18. Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Slow Cooker chicken chili will give you all the cozy feels. It’s filled with zesty flavor and tender shredded chicken; it is a simple and healthy recipe the whole family will love!
UNIQUE CHILI RECIPES
19. Cincinnati Chili Copycat
If you don’t have skyline chili near you and find yourself craving the comfort of an authentic Cincinnati chili, this recipe has you covered. Eat the chili as is, or serve it over spaghetti noodles.
20. Bacon Cheeseburger Chili
Bacon cheeseburger chili combines all the flavors of two classic comfort foods into one tasty dish; the hearty recipe will be an instant favorite for all burgers and chili lovers!
21. Elk Chili
Warm up with a bowl of homemade chili with ground elk. This hearty chili recipe makes for a healthy, easy, one-pot meal to serve alongside cornbread and all your favorite fixings.
22. Fall Pumpkin Chili
A hearty fall pumpkin chili recipe will help you through the colder months; prepare the chili with roasted and pureed pumpkin, or you can use canned pumpkin too.
23. Five Bean Chili
Five bean chili is the perfect pantry dish for when you can’t get to the shops, and it’s a great winter dish to feed a crowd.
24. One Pot Chili Mac
25. Turkey Pumpkin Chili
This turkey pumpkin chili recipe is fast, healthy, and easy to make. It’ll warm you right up this fall!
HOW TO GARNISH CHILI
- Sour Cream, Greek Yogurt, Cheddar Cheese
- Jalapeños or Serranos
- Radishes, Lime Wedges
- White Onion, Green Onion, Pickled Onions, and Sumac Onions
- Hot Sauce
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
You’ve read through 25 of the best chili recipes, and they make incredible leftovers. Psst… chili almost always tastes better the next day (but that’s my opinion).
- Refrigerate – Store leftovers in an airtight container; they will keep for 3-4 days, depending on the ingredients.
- Freeze – Transfer the chili to a freezer-safe container or bag. It will freeze for up to 3-6 months.
- Thaw – Defrost the leftovers in the refrigerator overnight.
- Reheat – Warm leftovers on the stovetop or microwave, and enjoy!
- Repurpose – Make walking nachos, chili and rice casserole, chili cheese fries, chili spaghetti squash casserole, chili dogs, chili and tater tot casserole, Frito chili pie, and chili cornbread casserole.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What gives chili the best flavor?
The answer will vary depending on who you ask and what chili you’re making. However, if you follow a few simple rules you will end up with great-tasting chili.
• Heat: Add a heating element to the chili apart from traditional American chili powder. Dried chilis, hot sauce, fresh chilies, chili flakes, or chili paste can go a long way in adding flavor.
• Acid: Finish the chili with a fresh pop of acidity like vinegar or citrus.
• Fat: Oil, cheese, cream, and fatty cuts of meat like chuck and pork lend additional flavor.
• Alcohol: Wine, beer, cider, and whiskey enhance the flavor of chili recipes.
• Sweetener: A little sugar, honey, or chocolate will balance the natural acidity of tomato-based chilies.
• Secret Ingredients: Recipe developers and home cooks usually have one ingredient they use to take their chili to the next level. Maybe it’s coffee or chocolate. Others add warm spices like cinnamon, garam masala, taco seasoning, Slap Ya Mama seasoning, and nutmeg. I love to add fish sauce, Marmite, or Worcestershire.
TOOLS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THESE RECIPES
Slow Cooker: There is something nice and homey about dumping all your ingredients into a Crockpot and leaving it to cook for hours, as the tempting aroma circulates through the house.
Instant Pot: The Instant Pot might be one of the most-used kitchen tools in our home, and helps to prepare meals in no time.