25 Best Chili Recipes – Simmering chili in Instant Pots, stovetops, and slow cookers are an indication that cooler months are upon us. We’ve rounded up some of the best chili recipes, and there is a something on this list for everyone! There are hearty meat recipes, chili with beans, no bean-chili, and vegetarian recipes. Nothing ushers in the Fall and Winter quite like a warm bowl of chili, soup, or stew! I guarantee you will FALL hard for this list of the 25 best chili recipes!
As soon as the first leaf changes color (usually September 1st), my mind shifts to Fall comfort food regardless of the weather. There is something about a piping hot bowl of homemade chili, and it’s the perfect meal for potlucks, get-togethers, game nights, and cook-offs.
- WHAT’S THE BEST PROTEIN FOR CHILI?
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- GARNISH AND TOPPINGS FOR HOMEMADE CHILI
- 25 BEST CHILI RECIPES
- HEARTY CHILI RECIPES
- VEGETARIAN CHILI RECIPES
- INSTANT POT CHILI RECIPES
- SPECIAL DIET CHILI RECIPES
- SLOW COOKER CHILI RECIPES
- UNIQUE CHILI RECIPES
- WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- TOOLS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THESE RECIPES
- YOU SHOULD ALSO TRY:
WHAT’S THE BEST PROTEIN FOR CHILI?
- Ground Beef, Turkey, or Chicken
- Chuck Roast
- Pork Shoulder
- Deer or Elk
- Short Rib
- Corn Bread
- Hot Dogs
- Baked Potatoes
- Roasted Potatoes in the Oven
- Bread Bowl
- Corn Casserole
- Tortilla Chips
- Mashed Potatoes
- Corn Muffins
- Sweet Potatoes
- Corn Chips
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Grilled Cheese
GARNISH AND TOPPINGS FOR HOMEMADE CHILI
- Sour Cream
- Jalapeños or Serranos
- Green Onion
- Cheddar Cheese
- Hot Sauce
- Lime Wedges
25 BEST CHILI RECIPES
Chili is hearty meal that’s easy to make and sure to feed a crowd. The way chili is prepared largely depends on where you’re located, and we have a ton of variations to choose from.
HEARTY CHILI RECIPES
01 | Chili Con Carne
Chili Con Carne means ‘chili with meat’ and this recipe is made with tender chunks of beef, black beans, and dried chilies for maximum flavor. This authentic Texas-inspired chili cooks in the Dutch oven, Instant Pot, or slow cooker.
02 | Chocolate Lamb Chili
Chocolate Lamb Chili is made with lamb stew meat, mixed beans, and smoky, rustic spices for a decadent meal you’ll love.
03 | Best Beef Chili
Make the Best Beef Chili– combine simple ingredients like BACON and ground beef, then simmer on the stovetop for 30 minutes.
04 | Family Favorite Chili
This recipe is a tried-and-true Family Favorite Chili made with hearty ingredients and simple flavors. It’s budget-friendly and perfect for a quick and easy meal.
05 | Sweet and Spicy Chili
This is the best Sweet and Spicy Chili ever! Its chili is loaded with delicious meat and a perfect blend of spices to deliver an award-winning chili recipe to impress your family and friends!
06 | Turkey Chili
This flavorful Turkey Chili recipe will satisfy even the heartiest of appetites. It’s packed with lean ground turkey, three kinds of beans, and a variety of spices.
VEGETARIAN CHILI RECIPES
07 | Best Vegan Chili with Beans and Millet
This is the Best Vegan Chili with Beans and Millet. It’s hearty and satisfying vegan chili- loaded with vegetables, legumes, and whole grains.
08 | Butternut Squash Chickpea Chili
This Butternut Squash Chickpea Chili recipe can be made in your slow cooker or stovetop and it is packed full of veggies and protein.
09 | Spicy Chickpea Chili
This Spicy Chickpea Chili comes together in 10 minutes for a healthy, vegan, and gluten-free meal.
INSTANT POT CHILI RECIPES
10 | Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is layered with chicken, white beans, corn, and a well-spiced broth to make a hearty and filling chili that’s ready in under an hour!
11 | Instant Pot Chili Verde
Make Instant Pot Chili Verde! Juicy tender chicken cooks in tangy-hot-savory-umami homemade roasted green chili sauce.
12 | Instant Pot Pozole Rojo
Instant Pot Pozole Rojo is a hearty chili made with tender pork and filling hominy, simmered in a flavorful chili broth, and garnished with fresh toppings.
13 | Instant Pot No Bean Turkey Chili
Hearty and healthy Instant Pot No Bean Turkey Chili is a super easy meal prep recipe. This chili is a family favorite, and it’s gluten-free, paleo, and Whole30.
14 | Instant Pot Vegetable Chili with Quinoa
Instant Pot Vegetable Chili with Quinoa is an easy, comforting weeknight meal made with black beans, quinoa, and veggies- it’s loaded with protein and fiber.
SPECIAL DIET CHILI RECIPES
15 | Low-Carb Keto Chili
Make this no bean, Low Carb Keto Chili; this recipe cooks in the Crock Pot, Instant Pot, or pressure cooker using common ingredients.
16 | Paleo Chili
Paleo Chili Recipe is even better than the traditional kind. It’s filling and full of delicious flavor from veggies and meat.
SLOW COOKER CHILI RECIPES
17 | Slow Cooker Beef Chili
Slow Cooker Beef Chili is a family favorite that tastes great paired with a big, buttery hunk of cornbread.
18 | Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili will give you all the cozy feels. It’s filled with zesty flavor and tender shredded chicken; it is a simple and healthy recipe the whole family will love!
UNIQUE CHILI RECIPES
19 | Cincinnati Chili
If you don’t have a Skyline Chili near you and you find yourself craving the comfort of an authentic Cincinnati Chili, this recipe has you covered. Eat it as is, or serve the chili over spaghetti noodles.
20 | Bacon Cheeseburger Chili
Bacon Cheeseburger Chili combines all the flavors of two classic comfort foods into one yummy dish. This hearty recipe will be an instant favorite for all burger and chili lovers!
21 | Easy Venison Chili
This Easy Venison Chili is one of the easiest ground deer meat recipes. The addition of the bacon helps give it a flavor that will leave you craving it on those cold winter days!
22 | Fall Pumpkin Chili
A hearty Fall Pumpkin Chili recipe will help you through the colder months; prepare the chili with roasted and pureed pumpkin, or you can use canned pumpkin too.
23 | Five Bean Chili
Five Bean Chili is the perfect pantry dish for when you can’t get to the shops, and it’s a great winter dish to feed a crowd.
24 | One Pot Chili Mac
This super healthy vegetarian One Pot Chili Mac comes together with beer, beans, pasta, olives, spices, and cheese that’s ready in 30-ish minutes.
25 | Turkey Pumpkin Chili
This Turkey Pumpkin Chili recipe is fast, healthy, and easy to make. It’ll warm you right up this fall!
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
You’ve read through 25 of the best chili recipes, and they make incredible leftovers. Psst… chili almost always tastes better the next day (but that’s my opinion).
- FRIDGE – Store leftovers in an airtight container; they will keep for 3-4 days, depending on the ingredients.
- FREEZER – Add chili to a freezer-safe container or bag. It will freeze for up to 3-6 months; chili with dairy will freeze for less time. When you’re ready to eat, defrost it in the fridge overnight.
- REHEAT – Warm leftovers on the stovetop or microwave, and enjoy!
- REPURPOSE – Make walking nachos, chili and rice casserole, chili cheese fries, chili spaghetti squash casserole, chili dogs, chili and tater tot casserole, Frito chili pie, and chili cornbread casserole.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What gives chili the best flavor?
The answer will vary depending on who you asked and what chili you’re attempting to make. However, if you follow a few simple rules you will end up with great-tasting chili.
• Heat: Add a heating element to the chili apart from traditional American chili powder. Dried chilis, hot sauce, fresh chilies, chili flakes, or chili paste can go a long way in adding flavor.
• Acid: Finish the chili with a fresh pop of acid like vinegar or citrus.
• Fat: Oil, cheese, cream, and fatty cuts of meat like chuck and pork lend additional flavor.
• Alcohol: Wine, beer, cider, and whiskey enhance the flavor of the chili.
• Sweetener: A little sugar, honey, or chocolate will balance the natural acidity of the usually tomato-based chilies.
• Secret Ingredients: Recipe developers and home cooks usually have one ingredient they use to take their chili to the next level. Maybe it’s coffee or chocolate. Others add warm spices like cinnamon, Garam Masala, Taco Seasoning, and nutmeg. I love to add fish sauce, Marmite, or Worcestershire.
TOOLS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THESE RECIPES
Slow Cooker: There is something nice and homey about dumping all your ingredients into a Crockpot and leaving it to cook for hours, as the tempting aroma circulates through the house.
The Instant Pot might be one of the most-used kitchen tools in our home, and helps to prepare meals in no time.
YOU SHOULD ALSO TRY:
- Beef and Chickpea Stew
- Kedjenou Chicken
- Beef and Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
- And more of our soup, stew, and chili favorites!