Beef Lettuce Wraps – Healthy beef lettuce wraps are easy to make and filled with ground beef, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, Sriracha, and homemade hoisin sauce; the wraps are held together with butter lettuce for a light meal you’ll love.
Eat beef lettuce wraps as an appetizer or a main dish. However, you choose to eat them- they are tasty and ready in just 30 minutes!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Homemade Hoisin: While store-bought hoisin is super tasty, it’s high in sugar. If you’re concerned about sugar like me, I recommend making the homemade hoisin sauce suggested in the recipe. If you don’t have the ingredients or don’t feel like making your own, store-bought hoisin is fine.
- Sesame Oil: Sesame oil cooks and flavors the ground beef.
- Ground Beef: I use lean ground beef. If you choose ground beef with higher fat content, drain the excess oil after the meat browns.
- Garlic: I suggest using two cloves, but don’t let my recipe tell you how much garlic to use – go for it.
- Ginger: Fresh ginger lends flavor to the beef lettuce wraps, and ginger paste brightens the homemade hoisin sauce.
- Scallions: Scallions or green onions add a nice peppery finish to our beef lettuce wraps.
- Soy Sauce: Soy sauce adds a depth of the flavor.
- Rice Wine Vinegar: Sweet acidity comes from the rice wine vinegar.
- Sriracha: For a bit of heat, add sriracha to the ground beef lettuce wraps and use it to garnish the lettuce wraps.
- Butter Lettuce: I prefer butter lettuce for the wraps; romaine lettuce or collard greens are a great alternative.
HOW TO MAKE BEEF LETTUCE WRAPS
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Before cooking, whisk the ingredients for homemade hoisin in a small bowl. Set it aside.
Warm sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the ground beef. Break up the meat using a meat chopper; cook until brown and heated through for about 10 minutes.
Add onion and carrots to the beef; cook until the onions become translucent and soften for about 5 minutes.
Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and Sriracha in a small bowl. Stir the mixture, then add it to the ground beef with the homemade hoisin and the scallion whites.
Cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove the lid, lower the heat, and allow the beef mixture to reduce for 2-5 minutes.
Spoon the mixture into butter lettuce and garnish with scallion greens and toasted peanuts. Use leftover hoisin as a dipping sauce.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, try one of these Low Carb favorites!
- Jasmine Rice, Quinoa, Vegetable Fried Rice, Cauliflower Rice
- Serrano Crema
- Wonton Soup, Hot and Sour Soup
- Homemade Coleslaw with Mint and Cilantro
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- Refrigerate – Store leftovers in an airtight container; they will keep for 3-5 days.
- Freeze – Allow the meat to cool, then add it to a freezer-safe container or bag. To prevent freezer burn, layer plastic wrap over the container before securing the lid. Ground beef freezes for up to 2 months.
- Thaw – When you’re ready to eat, defrost it in the fridge overnight.
- Reheat – Warm the leftovers on the stovetop and prepare your lettuce and hoisin sauce.
- Repurpose – The ground beef can be added to a casserole, stir fry, or scrambled eggs.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Are ground beef lettuce wraps keto? Are they low-carb?
We even calculated the macros to make it easier for you. The serving size for this calculation is two lettuce wraps and includes the homemade hoisin.
• Carbs – 2 Net Carbs
• Protein – 22g
• Fat – 13g
YOU SHOULD ALSO TRY:
Beef Lettuce Wraps
- 2 Bowls
For the Homemade Hoisin Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons Monk Fruit Sweetener or Honey
- 1 tablespoon Natural Almond Butter Powder
For the Lettuce Wrap:
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, plus more to garnish
- 1 pound ground beef, lean
- 1 carrot, shredded
- ½ medium yellow onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -inch fresh ginger, minced
- 4 scallions, sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons Sriracha
- ¼ cup Homemade Hoisin, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons peanuts, toasted
- butter lettuce, washed and patted dry
- Before cooking, whisk the ingredients for homemade hoisin in a small bowl. Set it aside.
- Warm sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the ground beef. Break up the meat using a meat chopper; cook until brown and heated through for about 10 minutes.
- Add onion and carrots to the beef; cook until the onions become translucent and soften for about 5 minutes.
- Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and Sriracha in a small bowl. Stir the mixture, then add it to the ground beef with the homemade hoisin and the scallion whites.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, lower the heat, and allow the beef mixture to reduce for 2-5 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into butter lettuce and garnish with scallion greens and toasted peanuts. Use leftover hoisin as a dipping sauce.
- The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.
Saturday 7th of January 2023
These wraps are a regular go-to for our family when we want a keto or low-calorie option! The sauce goes so well with the wrap and I love the crunch of the peanuts.