Vibrant color and fresh ingredients make up our simple chickpea salad recipe. It comes together easily for a meal you can make ahead or prepare the same day. What’s more, this salad tastes even better on day two!
I eat salad for lunch every day, and I am a big fan of using what you have on hand. That’s why I love this salad! With such simple ingredients, improvisation is a breeze.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Chickpeas: Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, provide a great source of protein to any salad. More often than not, I use canned chickpeas out of convenience, but dried chickpeas work as well; be sure to set aside time to soak the chickpeas in water before using them in the salad.
- Vegetables: I love the combination of red onion, fresh tomato, and crisp cucumber, but use this as the base and get creative from there.
- Dressing: We prepare a simple salad dressing with only three ingredients: olive oil, lemon juice, and minced garlic. Mediterranean salads often elevate fresh ingredients, so that is what we wanted to do with this dressing. I often add a tablespoon or two of nutritional yeast if I want something more filling.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS
This salad is super flexible, so don’t be afraid of changing things up a bit. Here are a few suggestions:
- Bell Pepper
- Black Olives
- Feta Cheese
- Hard Boiled Egg
- Kalamata Olive
- Goat Cheese
- Bleu Cheese
HOW TO MAKE CHICKPEA SALAD
PREPARE THE CHICKPEAS– Drain and rinse the chickpeas in water. Then, add them to a serving bowl.
CUT– Chop the vegetables and add them to the chickpeas.
COMBINE– Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then pour it over the salad.
SERVE– Mix it all together, and enjoy!
HOW TO PREPARE DRY CHICKPEAS
Do you only have dried chickpeas? You can use them to make this salad, but you’ll need to prepare them beforehand, and here’s how to do it.
- Soak one cup of dried chickpeas (turns into about 3 cups cooked) in water overnight.
- Drain the chickpeas. Then, add them to a large pot and cover them with water. Add a teaspoon of salt and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and gently simmer for 2 hours.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, we hope you will try one of our other salads!
- Moroccan Chicken Thighs
- Basmati Rice
- Kabob Koobideh
- Pita Bread
- Grilled Shrimp
- Joojeh Kabob
- Moroccan Meatballs
- Saffron Rice
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER CHICKPEA SALAD
- FRIDGE – The salad will stay fresh for 2-3 days in an air-tight container.
- REPURPOSE – Turn leftover salad into a wrap, pita, or sandwich.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
They’re pre-cooked, so all you have to do is drain and rinse the chickpeas.
Begin by adding dressing to the bottom of a mason jar, followed by chickpeas. Top with tomatoes, cucumber, and onion; finish with fresh parsley. When ready to eat the salad, pour it onto a plate and dig in.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- 2 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ medium cucumber, finely diced
- ½ cup curly parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, coarse ground
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas in water. Then, add them to a serving bowl.
- Chop the vegetables and add them to the chickpeas.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then pour the mixture over the salad.
- Mix it all together, and enjoy!
- Nutrition Disclosure: The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.