Cottage Cheese Ice Cream – Cottage Cheese Ice Cream is trending on TikTok, so I had to jump on it! In this viral TikTok trend, creators use cottage cheese to make protein-packed ice cream; you can enjoy this healthy, sweet treat without using an ice cream machine.
WHAT IS COTTAGE CHEESE ICE CREAM?
Ice cream made with a base of cottage cheese is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional ice cream! Swap out regular cream for cottage cheese and blend it with milk, sweeteners, and yummy additions like chocolate chips, fruits, or nuts. Not only does it taste great, but it’s also a fantastic source of protein, making it the perfect post-workout dessert or late-night snack.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Cottage Cheese: Put aside how you may feel about cottage cheese- it’s the perfect addition to healthy ice cream! And the key to making smooth and creamy ice cream is full-fat cottage cheese. For fewer calories, use low-fat cottage cheese, but it won’t be as good.
- Protein Powder: I use chocolate protein powder since I have a family of chocolate lovers, but customize the flavor of the ice cream by using vanilla or any other flavor of protein powder you prefer.
- Cacao Powder: For more chocolate goodness, add cacao.
- Peanut Butter: Peanut butter complements the chocolate flavor and provides additional protein.
- Milk: Use dairy or alternatives like almond, oat, soy, or coconut milk.
- Vanilla Extract: Sweeten the ice cream with vanilla extract.
- Chocolate Chips: Finish the ice cream with chocolate chips; I use Lily’s Chocolate Chips since they use Stevia.
HOW TO MAKE COTTAGE CHEESE ICE CREAM
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Add cottage cheese, protein powder, cacao powder monk fruit, peanut butter, milk, and vanilla extract to a food processor.
Process until smooth and fold in the chocolate chips.
Add the mixture to a loaf pan and smooth it out; place it in the freezer for 4 hours or until it hardens.
Remove the ice cream from the freezer, and let it sit for 30 minutes until you can easily scoop it.
- Using full-fat cottage cheese adds richness and creaminess to the ice cream.
- Cottage Cheese Ice Cream gets icy once frozen, so remove it from the freezer at least 30 minutes before you dig in.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, try one of these healthy Dessert favorites!
ICE CREAM TOPPINGS
Pair Cottage Cheese Ice Cream with delicious toppings and mix-ins; feel free to get creative and create unique flavor combinations!
- Fruit: Strawberries, Blueberries, Cherries, Mango, Bananas, Fig Jam
- Nuts: Peanuts, Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans
- Chocolate: Chocolate Nibs, Shaved Chocolate
- Coffee: Espresso Powder, Espresso Shot, Instant Coffee
- Spices: Cinnamon, Cardamom, Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Coconut: Coconut Flakes, Toasted Coconut
- Cream: Whipped Cream, Whipped Coconut Cream
- Drizzle: Caramel Sauce, Chocolate Sauce
- Crumbles: Granola Crumbs, Graham Crackers
HOW TO SERVE THE ICE CREAM
- Bowl or Cone: Scoop the ice cream into a serving-size bowl or cone, and enjoy it like regular ice cream.
- Sundae: Layer the ice cream with fresh fruit and nuts. Then, top the dessert with whipping cream.
- Banana Split: Cut a banana in half and scoop the ice cream onto it.
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- Freeze – Generally, it takes about 4 hours for the ice cream to freeze completely. However, it’s always a good idea to check the consistency of the ice cream periodically by giving it a quick stir or gentle shake to ensure that it doesn’t get freezer burned. Cover an airtight container with plastic before sealing the lid to prevent crystals from forming; the ice cream will keep for two weeks.
- Thaw – Take the ice cream out of the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for up to 30 minutes; this will soften the ice cream just enough to make it easier to scoop.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is cottage cheese ice cream healthy?
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream features protein-rich cottage cheese as the base, sweetened with sugar-free ingredients like monk fruit, vanilla extract, and chocolate protein powder.
What type of cottage cheese is best to use?
I prefer using plain cottage cheese with a higher fat percentage when preparing ice cream out of cottage cheese. While you can use low-fat cottage cheese, it may not be as creamy.
MORE TIK TOK RECIPES:
- Healthy Coke with Balsamic Vineger
- Bella Hadid Sandwich Recipe
- Cinnamon Rolls with Heavy Cream
- Gigi Hadid Pasta Recipe
- Salmon Sushi Bake Recipe
⭐️ Rate the Recipe
Feedback is Valuable – It helps us improve and update our recipes, so we can provide delicious meals you love. Consider leaving a comment or rating below the recipe card, and feel free to share your adaptations or ask any questions. We cannot wait to hear about what you’ve made.
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- 2 cups cottage cheese, full-fat
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons monk fruit
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Add cottage cheese, protein powder, cacao powder monk fruit, peanut butter, milk, and vanilla extract to a food processor. Process until smooth and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add the mixture to a loaf pan and smooth it out; place it in the freezer for 4 hours or until it hardens.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer, and let it sit for 30 minutes until you can easily scoop it.
Friday 26th of May 2023
I'm always up for trying trendy recipes, and cottage cheese ice cream did not disappoint! Surprisingly smooth and guilt-free indulgence.
Friday 26th of May 2023
I was skeptical at first, but this cottage cheese ice cream recipe blew me away! Creamy, rich, and packed with protein. Plus, no ice cream machine needed! A definite TikTok win!