Keto Green Bean Casserole – The holidays are all about tasty side dishes, at least for me, and they wouldn’t be the same without Green Bean Casserole! While canned recipes come together quickly, you can’t beat the taste of our from-scratch Keto Green Bean Casserole. Our simple, homemade version is creamy and rich with wholesome ingredients like fresh green beans and mushrooms.
WHAT IS GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE?
The American side dish served at Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter holidays was developed by Campbell’s test kitchen in the sixties. To this day, families celebrate with canned green beans, canned cream of mushroom soup, and packaged French fried onions (so addicting).
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Olive Oil: Saute the onions in oil over low heat until they become golden brown.
- Onion: For this once-in-a-while dish, I don’t mind the onions. However, I recognize that onions are high in carbs, and if your ketogenic macros are limited, you can try ground pork rinds or parmesan crisps.
- Green Beans: Fresh green beans yield the best results, and you can use any style you prefer. Canned green beans work, but they tend to be higher in carbohydrates, so keep that in mind.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS
- Topping: Finish the Keto Green Bean Casserole with crushed almonds, shredded cheese, parmesan crisps, or ground pork rinds in place of fried onions.
- Filling: In addition to green beans and cream of mushroom soup, include crispy bacon or cream cheese.
HOW TO MAKE KETO GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Warm oil in a skillet; add the onions and continue cooking until they become brown and crispy, for about 20 minutes.
Remove the onions using a slotted spoon and set them out to dry on paper towels.
Preheat the oven to 350° F (176°C) and add green beans to the bottom of a baking dish. Top them with the cream of mushroom soup mixture and finish with the crispy onions.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, try one of these Keto favorites!
- Tandoori Turkey
- Prime Rib, Pot Roast
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Glazed Ham
- Fall Kale Salad
- Keto Pecan Pie, Keto Pumpkin Pie
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- Refrigerate – Store leftovers in an airtight container; Keto Green Bean Casserole will keep for 4 days.
- Freeze – I don’t recommend freezing the casserole; it tends to come out watery, and the onions lose their crunch.
- Reheat – Warm the leftovers in the oven to maintain the crispiness of the onion.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Are traditional green bean casseroles keto?
Most traditional recipes use canned cream of mushroom soup; these store-bought cans contain flour and cornstarch that add carbs to the soup. Additionally, canned green beans are higher in carbs than fresh green beans.
Are green beans keto-friendly?
Green beans are great for a ketogenic lifestyle. They contain 2 grams of net carbohydrates per serving (1/2 cup).
Can green bean casserole be made ahead?
Yes, you can. Holiday meals can be busy, so you can easily make this casserole ahead of time. If you’re prepping the meal ahead of time, leave off the crispy fried onions. You can assemble the meal in advance, but I recommend storing the casserole and crispy fried onions separately. Leave the onions in an airtight container on the counter; cover and refrigerate the green bean and mushroom mixture for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to eat, remove the casserole dish from the fridge and leave it at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven and bake as directed.
Does green bean casserole have a lot of carbs?
Fresh green beans and homemade cream of mushroom are much healthier than the traditional canned soup version.
Is this recipe gluten-free?
Our Keto Green Bean Casserole is also gluten-free.
YOU SHOULD ALSO TRY:
Keto Green Bean Casserole
For the Cream of Mushroom Soup:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ pounds mushrooms, sliced
- 4 teaspoons thyme, dried
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarse ground
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4¼ cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry cooking wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the Casserole:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound green beans, ends removed, and cut in half
- While the soup is cooking, warm oil in a large skillet over low-medium heat; add the onions and continue cooking until they become brown and crispy, for about 20 minutes. Remove the onions using a slotted spoon and set them out to dry on paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (176°C) and add green beans to the bottom of a baking dish. Top them with the cream of mushroom soup mixture and finish with the crispy onions.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.
Monday 13th of February 2023
I made this Keto Green Bean Casserole for our family dinner and it was a hit! The creamy and rich flavor of the homemade casserole was so much better than the canned version. And it was great to be able to serve a keto-friendly dish during the holidays. Thank you for sharing this recipe!