Moroccan Carrot Salad – Salad is a part of almost every meal in Morocco, and this shaved Moroccan carrot salad is our take on salatat al jazar. Colorful, fresh, and easy to make- it’s a perfect combination of sweet and savory, and the textural variation is so satisfying!
Moroccan carrot salad is a great side dish that takes only 15 minutes to prepare. It’s perfect for any occasion including celebrations like Rosh Hashanah or Thanksgiving.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Lemon Juice
- Salt + pepper
- Olive Oil
- Cumin Seeds
HOW TO MAKE MOROCCAN CARROT SALAD
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Dry toast the cumin seeds and pistachios in a small skillet over low heat for 5 minutes. Set them aside.
Combine lemon juice, honey, turmeric, salt, and pepper in a serving bowl. Then, whisk in the olive oil.
Add the shredded carrot and toss to combine.
Garnish the salad with cumin seeds, pistachios, and mint.
- For best results, store the salad in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to combine.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this salad, try one of these Moroccan favorites!
- Leg of Lamb, Beef Brisket
- BBQ Baked Chicken Legs
- Kofta, Koobideh Kabob
- Chickpea Salad, çoban salatasi
- Basmati Rice, Couscous
- Butter Bean Hummus
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- Refrigerate – Store leftovers in an airtight container; they will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can this salad be made in advance?
Prepare the salad up to three days in advance, although I would wait until you’re ready to serve to add the pistachios, cumin seeds, and lemon juice.
YOU SHOULD ALSO TRY:
- Vegetable Chopped Salad
- Avocado Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Homemade Coleslaw with Mint and Cilantro
- And more Salad recipes!
Moroccan Carrot Salad (Salatat Al Jazar)
- ½ cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and largely shredded
- ½ cup mint, roughly chopped
- Dry toast the cumin seeds and pistachios in a small skillet over low heat for 5 minutes. Set them aside.
- Combine lemon juice, honey, turmeric, salt, and pepper in a serving bowl. Then, whisk in the olive oil.
- Add the shredded carrot and toss to combine.
- Garnish the salad with cumin seeds, pistachios, and mint.
- The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.