Rib Rub Recipe – Make this quick and easy rib rub recipe in a matter of minutes using five simple ingredients. The BBQ-flavored rub strikes the perfect balance between salty and sweet with a touch of heat. Prepare a rack of ribs with the rub overnight and enjoy perfectly seasoned and tender ribs the next day. And once you’ve made the ribs, complete your meal with our list of what to serve with ribs.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Chili Powder: American chili powder, made of dried chilies and herbs, lends a savory component to the rib rub recipe.
- Cayenne Pepper: Add heat that doesn’t overwhelm with a small amount of cayenne powder.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar enhances the flavor and encourages caramelization on the ribs as they cook. It also helps to cut the bitterness of some of the other spices.
- Salt + Pepper: Finish the rub with coarse ground black pepper and kosher salt.
HOW TO MAKE OUR RIB RUB RECIPE
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Store the spice blend in an airtight container.
- Leave the rib rub recipe on the ribs for at least 2 hours, but overnight is best!
- Start with fresh spices – this makes all the difference; spices lose their flavor over time, especially ground spices.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, try one of these spice blends!
- Oven Baked Beef Ribs, Instant Pot Beef Ribs
- Pork Ribs
- Country-Style Ribs
- Pork Chops
- Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- Storage – Transfer leftover rib rub to an airtight container. It will keep in your pantry or cabinet for up to 6 months.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Should you put a rub on ribs?
Rubbing the ribs in advance will create a thicker bark and provide a tangier flavor to compliment the BBQ sauce or glaze you coat the ribs with afterward.
How long should rub be on ribs before cooking?
Leave the rib rub on for at least 2 hours, but overnight is best!
What do you put on ribs before rubbing?
I usually prepare ribs with a dry rub, but many home cooks use a technique called slathering first; this involves thinly layering ingredients like mustard, olive oil, or even mayo to act as a binder for the rub.
MORE BBQ RECIPES:
- BBQ Baked Chicken Legs
- Homemade Coleslaw with Mint and Cilantro
- Healthy Potato Salad
- Southern Potato Salad
⭐️ Rate the Recipe
Feedback is Valuable – It helps us improve and update our recipes, so we can provide delicious meals you love. Consider leaving a comment or rating below the recipe card, and feel free to share your adaptations or ask any questions. We cannot wait to hear about what you’ve made.
Rib Rub Recipe
- Airtight Container
- 4 teaspoons American chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper, coarse ground
- ½ teaspoon cayenne, ground
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Store the spice blend in an airtight container.