Try this quick and easy rib rub recipe made in just minutes! Using only five ingredients- this BBQ-flavored rub is salty and sweet with just the right amount of heat. Prepare a rack of ribs with the rub overnight and enjoy perfectly seasoned and tender ribs the next day.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Chili Powder: American chili powder, made of dried chilies and herbs, lends a savory component to the rib rub.
- Cayenne Pepper: Add heat that doesn’t overwhelm with cayenne.
- Brown Sugar: Add sugar to the rub to enhance the flavor, encourage caramelization, and cut the bitterness of the other spices.
- Salt + Pepper
HOW TO MAKE OUR RIB RUB RECIPE
COMBINE– Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl; stir to combine.
STORE– Store the spice blend in an air-tight container.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, we hope you will try one these spice blends!
- Oven-Baked Beef Ribs
- Pork Ribs
- Country-Style Ribs
- Pork Chops
- Grilled Chicken
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVERS
- STORAGE – Add leftover or pre-made rib rub to an air-tight container. It will keep in your pantry or cabinet for up to 6 months.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Rubbing the ribs in advance will create a thicker bark and provide a tangier flavor to compliment the BBQ sauce or glaze you coat the ribs with afterward.
Leave the rib rub on for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best!
I usually prepare ribs with a dry rub, but many home cooks use a technique called slathering first; this involves thinly layering ingredients like mustard, olive oil, or even mayo to act as a binder for the rub.
YOU SHOULD ALSO TRY:
Rib Rub Recipe
- 4 teaspoons American chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper, coarse ground
- ½ teaspoon cayenne, ground
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- How long should rub be on ribs before cooking? Leave the rib rub on for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best!
- Spice Quality: Start with fresh spices – this makes all the difference; spices lose their flavor over time, especially ground spices.
- Nutrition Disclosure: The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.
- Web Story: Check out my web story for our rib rub recipe!