Serrano Crema – Serrano Crema is our take on the authentic Peruvian green sauce called Aji Verde, the bright green sauce served alongside Roasted Chicken in restaurants, and it’s delicious! This sauce is bold, and it adds the perfect spice to roasted chicken, grilled meat, vegetables, salads, and tacos! A drizzle of this yummy green sauce elevates any dish to the next level.
WHAT IS SERRANO CREMA?
Crema’s are typically much thinner than sour cream and since this sauce contains both sour cream and yogurt, the result is a thin and flavorful sauce you’ll want to pour on everything! Ours is flavored with serranos, cilantro, garlic, and lime. Serrano Crema is delicious. Still, it’s not the authentic sauce you will find in Peru, just my take using the ingredients I have at home. I want to get my hands on aji Amarillo (a hot yellow pepper) or rocoto (a hot red pepper) and huacatay (black mint) to make the real deal. I’ll report back here when I do.
IS SERRANO CREMA SPICY?
I think it’s just right, but then again, I love a little heat! However, I realize that not everyone handles spice in the same way, and serrano chilies may be too spicy for some. For this reason, I suggest using jalapeños with the membranes and stems removed for a milder sauce.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Serrano Chili: Serrano chilies are a favorite of mine! In the summertime, we have serrano chili plants growing in our backyard. Even though I love them, serrano chilis may create a crema that’s too spicy for some. For a milder sauce, use jalapeños. In addition, you can remove the chili membrane and seeds before dicing; this will lower the spice level as well.
- Cilantro: Cilantro balances the heat and lends the sauce it’s bright green color.
- Garlic: I suggest using three cloves, but don’t let my recipe tell you how much garlic to use – measure with your heart.
- Yogurt: Yogurt thickens the Serrano Crema.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream creates a smooth texture and lends a sour note that compliments and doesn’t overwhelm the other ingredients.
- Lime Juice: I use fresh lime juice, about one whole lime.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil works alongside the yogurt and sour cream to create the perfect texture for the sauce. To use this crema as a dressing, increase the amount of olive oil to thin it out.
- Salt + Pepper: Season the crema according to your preference.
HOW TO MAKE SERRANO CREMA
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Add all of the ingredients, apart from olive oil and seasoning, to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
Stir in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to serve.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, try one of these tasty Dips and Salsas!
- The most obvious choice is to serve Serrano Crema with our Peruvian Roasted Chicken or Blackened Mahi Mahi.
- Though it’s unlike traditional Indian raita, it pairs well with Grilled Tandoori Chicken and Instant Pot Chicken Biryani.
- You can build a burger with cheese, avocado, thinly sliced serrano chilies, and crisp bacon- finish the burger with this sauce!
- Pour Serrano Crema on Carnitas, fish tacos, Homemade Tacos with Ground Beef, or shrimp tacos in place of salsa.
- Top a Vegetable Chopped Salad or chickpea dishes, like Chana Masala, chaat masala, or Chickpea Salad.
YOU SHOULD ALSO TRY:
⭐️ Rate the Recipe
Feedback is Valuable – It helps us improve and update our recipes, so we can provide delicious meals you love. Consider leaving a comment or rating below the recipe card, and feel free to share your adaptations or ask any questions. We cannot wait to hear about what you’ve made.
- 3-4 serrano chilis, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ cup yogurt, full-fat
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, coarse ground, to taste
- Add all of the ingredients, apart from olive oil and seasoning, to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to serve.
- The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.
Friday 26th of May 2023
This Serrano Crema has completely transformed my meals. I've always loved the Aji Verde sauce at Peruvian restaurants, and I never thought I could recreate it at home until I found this recipe. The best part is that it's so easy to make!
Friday 26th of May 2023
Oh my goodness, I can't stop raving about this Serrano Crema! As a fan of Peruvian cuisine, I was thrilled to come across this recipe, and it did not disappoint. The vibrant green color alone is enough to make your mouth water. The sauce is bursting with flavor and adds just the right amount of spice to any dish. I've been enjoying it with roasted chicken, and it takes the flavor to a whole new level. It's so versatile too—I've used it on grilled meat, veggies, salads, and even tacos! Trust me, once you try this incredible sauce, you'll want to put it on everything. A big thank you for sharing this delightful recipe!
Thursday 19th of May 2022
Such a nice flavor and is pretty easy to make. I love having this sauce with baked chicken.
Sunday 12th of June 2022
I made it for our Peruvian chicken, which is a whole, baked chicken. It's so good!
Friday 25th of February 2022
Very goood, highly recommend this recipe !!
Tressa - Jamil Ghar Team
Friday 25th of February 2022
You're awesome for taking a second to comment; I'm glad you liked it!