Easy Beef Stroganoff – Tender beef and creamy mushroom gravy come together to make this easy beef stroganoff we serve over buttery egg noodles. It is college-student and kid-friendly and uses items from your pantry; the entire meal cooks in under an hour, or you can throw it in a Crockpot before your day begins.
In our home, we call this dish ‘bachelor stroganoff’. Long before marriage or having children, my husband and I did the long-distance thing while we were engaged. He was in Colorado with a roommate, and I was in Arizona. To make food stretch, the two bachelors would alternate making batch meals for one another. His roommate’s specialty was meatballs, and Shariq made this recipe.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Butter: Butter sautés the beef and flavors the meal.
- Beef Short Ribs: I prefer the tenderness of beef short ribs, but regular stew meat works fine for this meal if you can’t find short rib on sale. Take the time to cut the meat into strips; this helps reduce the cooking time. If you’re really in a pinch, hey, this is an easy meal recipe, right? Go ahead and use ground beef.
- Onion: Onions caramelize to provide a tasty base for the dish.
- Garlic: I suggest using three cloves, but don’t let my recipe tell you how much garlic to use – go for it.
- Mushrooms: I use bella for this recipe; any mushroom will do, or you can skip them altogether if that’s not your thing.
- Cream of Mushroom: This is a simple stroganoff recipe, so take it easy and grab a can of cream of mushroom from the store.
- Onion Soup Mix: You could easily make this spice and herb mix at home, but Lipton’s has a convenient store-bought version.
HOW TO MAKE EASY BEEF STROGANOFF
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Generously season the beef with salt and pepper.
Warm butter in a Dutch oven, then sear the beef in batches. Set it aside.
Next, add onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Sweat them over medium heat until they become translucent and soften.
Stir in the cream of mushroom and onion soup mix, then return the meat to the dutch oven and mix well.
Cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
Garnish with sour cream and serve with egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or Mashed Cauliflower.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, try one of these beef favorites!
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- Refrigerate – Store the leftovers in an airtight container; stroganoff will keep for 3-4 days.
- Freeze – Allow the meat to cool, then add it to a freezer-safe container or bag. I do not recommend freezing the noodles, as they will become mushy. The beef freezes for 3 months.
- Thaw – When you’re ready to eat, defrost it in the fridge overnight.
- REHEAT – Warm leftovers on the stovetop and prepare fresh eggs noodles to complete the meal.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where did beef stroganoff originate?
Named after one of the members of the Stroganov family, beef stroganoff originated in Russia; the original recipe included seasoned beef cubes sautéed in butter, simmered in a sauce comprised of mustard and broth, and topped with sour cream. While ingredients have changed throughout the years, the basic methodology is the same. Popular variations of this dish exist in China, Hong Kong, and Japan.
Can I make stroganoff in an Instant Pot?
1. Generously season the beef with salt and pepper, and set it aside.
2. Warm butter in an Instant Pot on saute mode, then add a single layer of the reserved beef to the bottom of the dutch oven. Brown the meat and set it aside. Repeat until all the meat is seared.
3. Next, add onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Sweat them over medium heat until the onions become translucent and soften.
4. Stir in the cream of mushroom and onion soup mix, then return the meat to the dutch oven and mix well.
5. Seal the lid and set the Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 12 minutes with a quick release.
6. Garnish with sour cream and serve with egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or Mashed Cauliflower.
Can I make stroganoff in a Crockpot or slow cooker?
1. Add the beef and the rest of the ingredients to the Crockpot.
2. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours, depending on your preference.
3. To serve, garnish with sour cream and serve with egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or Mashed Cauliflower.
YOU SHOULD ALSO TRY:
- Zuppa Toscana Instant Pot Copycat
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Beef Stew Recipes
- And more of our Soup and Stew favorites!
Easy Beef Stroganoff
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds beef short ribs, boneless, cut into strips against the grain
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup bella mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 cans cream of mushroom
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 package egg noodles, cooked according to the package
- sour cream, to garnish
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, coarse ground, to taste
- Generously season the beef with salt and pepper, and set it aside.
- Warm butter in a dutch oven over medium-high heat, then add a single layer of the reserved beef to the bottom. Brown the meat and set it aside. Repeat until all the meat is seared.
- Next, add onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Sweat them over medium heat until the onions become translucent and soften.
- Stir in the cream of mushroom and onion soup mix, then return the meat to the dutch oven and mix well.
- Cover and cook for about 20 minutes; stir to prevent burning.
- Garnish with sour cream and serve with egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or mashed cauliflower.
- Nutrition Disclosure: The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice. Further, the calculation for this recipe was made only for the stroganoff and doesn’t include the nutritional information for egg noodles or any other side dish.
- Web Story: Check out my web story for stroganoff!
Thursday 16th of February 2023
I made this easy beef stroganoff for dinner last night, and it was a hit with my whole family! The beef was tender and flavorful, and the mushroom gravy was so creamy and delicious. We served it over egg noodles, and it was the perfect comfort food meal for a chilly evening. I can't wait to make it again!
Saturday 19th of November 2022
Nice post Thanks
Saturday 19th of November 2022
@Rehoboth, thanks for taking the time to comment.
Saturday 16th of July 2022
This has to be one of my favorite recipes. The flavors are rich and go really well with the noodles. The beef is always tender and flavorful.
Monday 18th of July 2022
Two things we love about this meal; it's flavorful and easy to make. I am glad this recipe worked for you!