Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This post is not sponsored, though it should be – because buying a Toddy saved my marriage! Okay, that may be a stretch, but some time ago, my husband and I had a sit-down about my iced coffee obsession; the conversation ended with a purchase of a Toddy. Like me, I hope you experience the joy of a quick cold brew coffee made right in your kitchen.
What is Cold Brew?
Good things come to those who wait, and that’s certainly the case with cold brew. Coffee grounds steep in room temperature or cold water for an extended period to slowly extract the flavor and aroma of the coffee bean, resulting in a smooth concentrate with less acidity and a more robust flavor.
What You Need to Make This Big Batch Toddy Cold Brew Recipe
How to Make Our Toddy Cold Brew Recipe
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Step 1: Insert the rubber stopper into the bottom of the cold brew container.
Step 2: Flip it, and set the filter into place.
Step 3: Add one cup of water.
Step 4: Use a food scale to measure out six ounces of coffee and add it to the container.
Step 5: Slowly pour six cups of water over the coffee in a circular motion. Let it sit for five minutes.
Step 6: Add four ounces of coffee, followed by pouring four cups of water in a slow circular motion over the grounds.
Step 7: Lightly press the coffee into the water if some of the grounds are uncovered.
Step 8: Cover and allow the coffee to brew for twelve hours. I make mine at night and leave it overnight.
Step 9: Place the container on top of the decanter and remove the stopper. Once the coffee stops dripping, for about 20 minutes, toss the contents of the brewing container (or use them as compost).
Step 10: Remove the filter. Wash it, and store it in a resealable bag inside the freezer.
- Cold brew coffee requires a specific grind, and for that reason you should select or grind your coffee beans into a large, coarse grounds.
- Please note that this recipe is for cold brew concentrate. It should be diluted with water or milk using a 1:4 ratio.
- Hot water should never be used as it can result in a bitter cold brew; the water needs to be cold or at least room temperature.
What to Do With the Leftovers
- Refrigerate – Undiluted cold brew keeps for 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Diluted cold brew lasts for 1-2 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between cold brew and iced coffee?
• Cold Brew steeps in cold or room temperature water. At a cooler temperature, the ground coffee beans maintain their integrity. Along the same line, cold-brewing coffee relies on time and gravity to extract the coffee’s oils. The extended brewing time results in a smooth, tasty coffee with lower acidity.
• Iced coffee relies on a quick burst of hot water to dissolve the beans and brew the coffee. The hot mixture is then poured over ice.
Can I make warm drinks with cold brew concentrate?
You sure can. In fact, that’s the only way my husband will drink it. On occasion, I will too. Though, I generally prefer iced coffee. If you decide to go this route, I suggest filling your mug 1/3 of the way with cold brew and then top it with boiled water leaving room for cream and sweetener of your choice. Sip, and enjoy!
What is the best coffee for cold brew?
First off, you want to be sure you’re purchasing whole beans and grinding them on a coarse-ground setting. My all-time favorite coffee for cold brew at home is New Mexico Piñon Coffee, but any dark roast coffee will do.
Is cold brew coffee better for you?
If you’re like me and regular coffee tends to be hard on your stomach, cold brew might be just be better for you! And there is a reason for that! Brewing coffee with hot water dissolves the beans and pulls much of the acidity along with it. The long-brewing process for cold brew leaves much of that acidity behind.
Do I need to buy a Toddy to make cold brew?
No, you can make cold brew using a wide mouth, glass jar, and a large coffee filter. I prefer the convenience of the Toddy Cold Brew System since they provide all the equipment you need. It also makes enough cold brew concentrate to make 10-12 drinks.
Toddy Cold Brew Recipe
- 10 ounces coffee beans, coarsely ground
- 10 cups water
- Insert the rubber stopper and filter into the cold brew container.
- Then, add one cup of water.
- Use a food scale to measure six ounces of coffee and add it to the container.
- Slowly pour five cups of water over the coffee in a circular motion. Let it sit for five minutes.
- Use a food scale to measure four ounces of coffee and add it to the container.
- Slowly pour four cups of water over the coffee in a circular motion.
- Lightly press the coffee into the water if some of the grounds are uncovered.
- Cover and allow the coffee to brew for twelve hours. I make mine at night and leave it overnight.
- Place the container on top of the decanter and remove the stopper. Once the coffee stops dripping, for about 20 minutes, toss the contents of the brewing container (or use them as compost).
- Remove the filter. Wash it, and store it in a resealable bag inside the freezer.