Instant Pot Pozole Rojo
Authentic Instant Pot Pozole Rojo is a rich stew made from tender pork, hominy, and a savory chili-based broth. Pile your bowl high with fresh toppings!
Prep Time 15 minutes mins
Cook Time 1 hour hr 20 minutes mins
Total Time 1 hour hr 35 minutes mins
Course Main Course
Servings 8 bowls
Calories 385 kcal
For the Pozole:
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2½ pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large white onion, quartered
- 5 guajillo chilies, stemmed and deseeded, dried
- 5 ancho chilies, stemmed and deseeded, dried
- 1 tablespoon Chicken Better Than Bouillon
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic head, cut off, and discard the top third, leaving the head intact
- 1 can hominy, 29-ounce, drained, and rinsed
For the Garnish:
- radishes, thinly sliced into rounds
- red onions, diced
- cabbage, shredded
- cilantro, chopped
- avocado, cubed
- lime wedges
- red pepper flakes
- Mexican oregano
Warm oil in an Instant Pot on saute mode until it begins to smoke.
Add the pork in a single layer and let it brown for 3-4 minutes. Repeat with the remaining pork, and set it aside.
Next, add the onions, guajillo chilies, and ancho chilies. Cook until they blister, then add them to a food processor or blender along with water and Better Than Bouillon.
Add the remaining ingredients, chili mixture, and pork; stir to incorporate. Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on manual high pressure for 50 minutes with quick release.
Using tongs, retrieve the garlic head from the broth. Squeeze the garlic head to release the cloves into the broth, and whisk to combine.
Garnish with red radish, red onion, cabbage, cilantro, lime wedges, avocado, chili flakes, cotija cheese, and Mexican oregano. Serve with corn tostadas.
Serving: 1 Bowl | Calories: 385kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 21g | Sodium: 387mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g