Substitute for Simple Syrup – Are you out of store-bought simple syrup or simply not in the mood to purchase it? Well, guess what? You’re in luck! Let us help you find a substitute for simple syrup to make tasty desserts, cocktails, mocktails, and coffee drinks.
WHAT CAN I USE IF I DON’T HAVE SIMPLE SYRUP?
If you find yourself without the sugary addition to drinks and dessert and wondering what to substitute for simple syrup, there are plenty of alternatives to use instead. From honey or maple syrup for a touch of natural sweetness to experimenting with ingredients like agave nectar – the possibilities are endless, and chances are, you don’t even need to run to the store.
WHAT’S THE BEST SUBSTITUTE FOR SIMPLE SYRUP?
Homemade Simple Syrup
If you have a recipe that calls for simple syrup, then rest assured, making simple syrup is a breeze and takes just 15 minutes. All you need is water, sugar, and an airtight container- it really is that SIMPLE!
Honey is a natural sweetener that works well as a substitute for simple syrup. Use the same amount of honey as you would simple syrup.
Maple syrup is another natural sweetener to use in place of simple syrup. It has a rich, distinctive flavor to complement many recipes, especially those with warm or spiced flavors. Use an equal amount of maple syrup as you would simple syrup.
Agave nectar is a sweetener derived from the agave plant. It has a mild flavor and easily dissolves, making it a good substitute for simple syrup. Replace simple syrup with equal parts agave.
Other Substitutes for Simple Syrup:
- Liquid Stevia or Monk Fruit: These sugar-free alternatives are calorie-free, plant-based sweeteners you can use as a substitute for simple syrup in some recipes. They are significantly sweeter than sugar, so you’ll only need a small amount.
- Fruit Juice or Fruit Puree: Depending on the recipe you’re making, replace simple syrup with fruit juice or fruit puree. However, they may alter the overall flavor of the drink or dessert.
WHAT IS SIMPLE SYRUP MADE OF?
- Water: Use water to dissolve sugar and create syrup.
- Sugar: The main ingredient of simple syrup is granulated sugar. It provides sweetness and acts as the primary flavor component; some recipes call for honey instead.
HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE SYRUP
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and warm it over medium heat. Stir the mixture until the sugar completely dissolves.
Remove it from the heat and let it cool before transferring it to an airtight container.
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- Storage – Let the mixture cool completely and transfer it to a clean, airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for one month.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is simple syrup?
People often use it to sweeten their cocktails, coffee, and herbal tea, but it can also be a great addition to iced tea, lemonade, and other cold beverages.
Use simple syrup to sweeten desserts by brushing them onto cake layers or cupcakes to infuse them with flavor and keep them moist. It’s also a tasty addition to sorbet, frosting, glazes, or drizzles. Add a drop or two of the simple syrup to muffin, pancake, or waffle batter – careful not to use too much, as it can be overpowering.
Can I just use sugar instead of simple syrup?
Using granulated sugar as a direct replacement for simple syrup may not produce the same results. The syrup is a liquid sweetener made by dissolving sugar in water to create a smooth and easily mixable syrup.
If using plain sugar instead of syrup, the sugar may not dissolve completely, leaving a somewhat grainy texture in your drink or recipe.
What’s the best ratio for simple syrup?
The ratio of sweetener to water varies depending on the desired sweetness, but I typically use equal parts sweetener and water.
What other sugars can I use when making simple syrup?
Try using brown sugar, corn syrup, palm sugar, molasses, coconut sugar, honey, and maple syrup, and prepare them the same way you would simple syrup with granulated sugar.
MORE RELATED ARTICLES:
Did you enjoy this article? Feedback helps us improve and update our recipes and articles. Would you consider leaving a comment below?
Substitute for Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and warm it over medium heat. Stir the mixture until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool before transferring it to an airtight container.
- The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.