Picadillo Con Papas – Ground beef isn’t just for Homemade Tacos; homemade Picadillo Con Papas or Mexican Picadillo is staple in our home. The ground beef recipe takes 30 minutes to prepare, and it’s a perfect filling for tacos, tamales, soup, and gorditas, or eat it as a main dish with rice and tortillas.
WHAT IS MEXICAN PICADILLO?
Picadillo Con Papas (also called carne molida con papas) is a popular comfort food in Mexican households. The quick and easy one-pot meal features a base of ground beef, with the option to use pork or chicken for added variety.
The exact recipe for Picadillo varies depending on region and personal preferences. However, the meal often includes onions, garlic, chilies, and tomatoes. Additional ingredients like potatoes, carrots, peas, raisins, olives, and capers are also commonly added to enhance the flavor and texture of the dish.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Avocado Oil: Saute the onions, garlic, and serrano chilies in avocado oil.
- Onion: Finely dice one white or yellow onion.
- Garlic: I suggest using four cloves, but don’t let my recipe tell you how much garlic to use- measure with your heart.
- Serrano Chilies: For a bit of heat, finely dice the serrano chilies or replace them with jalapeños if you prefer.
- Ground Beef: Picadillo means minced in English. As such, take your time breaking up the beef. You can do this using a spatula, but I highly recommend a meat chopper. Plus, the cooking tool is satisfying to use. We use lean ground beef, but you can replace it with chicken, turkey, or beyond meat for a vegetarian option.
- Spices: Enhance the flavor of Picadillo Con Papas with salt, cumin, paprika, Mexican oregano, black pepper, and bay leaves. For a slight twist, consider seasoning the meal with homemade Taco Seasoning.
- Tomatoes: I use three fresh Roma tomatoes, but you can also use a can of diced tomatoes.
- Potato: Dice a russet potato and cook it with the ground beef; the diced potatoes absorb the sauce and simmer until they become fork-tender.
- Chicken Broth: Use chicken broth to enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- Cilantro: Brighten and garnish the meal with fresh cilantro.
HOW TO MAKE PICADILLO CON PAPAS
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Warm the avocado oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, serrano chilies, and garlic; cook until the onions soften and become translucent, for about 10 minutes.
Add the ground beef, and break it up with a meat chopper until finely minced. Cook until brown and heated through for about 10 minutes. Then, add the diced potatoes to the mixture.
Stir in the cumin, salt, paprika, oregano, and black pepper. Continue cooking for another minute.
Deglaze the pan with the tomatoes and chicken broth, then add the bay leaves. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce and simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove the dish from the heat and stir in the cilantro to serve.
- Cut the potatoes into smaller pieces to ensure they cook until tender. Then, nestle the potatoes into the tomato mixture to ensure they cook with the ground beef.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, try one of these Mexican favorites!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH MEXICAN PICADILLO?
Complete the meal by pairing one of these tasty sides with Picadillo Con Papas.
- Vegan Mexican Rice, White Rice
- Pinto Beans, Black Beans, Refried Beans
- Corn Tortilla or Tostada, Flour Tortilla
- Chunky Salsa, Pico De Gallo, Salsa Verde
- Air Fried Plantains
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- Refrigerate – Store leftovers in an airtight container; they will keep for up to 4-5 days.
- Freeze – Let the dish cool and transfer leftovers to a freezer-safe container or bag. Picadillo Con Papas freezes for up to 3 months.
- Reheat – Warm the leftovers on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Repurpose – Use the leftovers to fill tacos, soup, or quesadillas. You can remove the potatoes and use the filling to make chile rellenos.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the difference between Mexican and Cuban picadillo?
Picadillo is a beloved dish in Mexican and Cuban cuisines, but some key differences set them apart. Mexican Picadillo or Picadillo Con Papas features ground beef simmered with a vibrant blend of cumin, paprika, and oregano, resulting in rich flavor.
On the other hand, Cuban Beef Picadillo showcases a savory combination of sofrito, sazon seasoning, and ground beef or pork that slow cooks to perfection.
What to make with leftover Picadillo Con Papas?
Picadillo is one of my favorite meat fillings, and there are plenty of ways to repurpose it into another delicious meal; use it as a filling for empanadas, tacos, or tamales. You can even stuff bell peppers with the flavorful beef mixture and bake them until they turn golden brown. Another alternative is to transform it into a hearty soup by adding broth, vegetables, and tomato sauce. And let’s not forget how tasty it would be as a topping for nachos.
MORE GROUND BEEF RECIPES:
⭐️ Rate the Recipe
Feedback is Valuable – It helps us improve and update our recipes, so we can provide delicious meals you love. Consider leaving a comment or rating below the recipe card, and feel free to share your adaptations or ask any questions. We cannot wait to hear about what you’ve made.
Picadillo Con Papas (Ground Beef with Potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- 1-2 serrano chilies, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large russet potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, coarse ground
- 3 medium roma tomatoes, finely diced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Warm the avocado oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, serrano chilies, and garlic; cook until the onions soften and become translucent, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, and break it up with a meat chopper until finely minced. Cook until brown and heated through for about 10 minutes. Then, add the diced potatoes to the mixture.
- Stir in the cumin, salt, paprika, oregano, and black pepper. Continue cooking for another minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the tomatoes and chicken broth, then add the bay leaves. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce and simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove the dish from the heat and stir in the cilantro to serve.
Thursday 18th of May 2023
This is the way my mother made this meal with Mexican rice and homemade flour tortillas.
Thursday 18th of May 2023
I love how food can bring back memories and connections, and I am so happy you enjoyed the recipe!