Pico De Gallo – Get fresh pico de gallo on the table with just five ingredients: ripe tomatoes, white onion, jalapeños, cilantro, and the juice of a lime come together as a perfect topping or garnish.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Tomatoes: Good salsa begins with great tomatoes. As a result, I use Roma tomatoes in this recipe since they have less liquid than other varieties of tomato.
- Onion: I use white onions for this recipe.
- Jalapeño: When making this salsa for large groups of people, jalapeños are my chili of choice since they’re not as spicy as others. If you love jalapeños but crave more spice, leave more of the seeds and membrane intact when chopping them. If you’re sensitive to spice, I suggest using only half of the jalapeño.
- Cilantro: This highly debated herb flavors the side, but leave it out if it’s not your thing.
- Lime: Lime preserves and flavors the side.
- Salt + Pepper
HOW TO MAKE PICO DE GALLO
Slice the jalapeños in half and remove the seeds by holding the stem and scooping them out with a spoon. Then, cut off the stem and finely dice the peppers. Add them to the tomatoes.
Next, add the chopped onion and cilantro to the bowl.
Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Then, squeeze the lime over salsa, and stir to combine.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
- Tortilla Chips or Crackers
- Ground Beef Tacos, Carne Asada Tacos
- Blackened Mahi-Mahi
- Scrambled Eggs or Omelet
- Vegetable Chopped Salad
- Vegan Mexican Rice, Cilantro Lime Rice
- Burrito Bowls
- Cheese and Onion Enchiladas
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- TO STORE: Salsa will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is pico de gallo made of?
I make this traditional Mexican side with classic ingredients like tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime, salt, and pepper.
Pico de gallo vs. salsa?
Pico de gallo is a salsa medley made of fresh, chopped ingredients thrown together and seasoned with lime, salt, and pepper. Pico tends to have far less liquid than other varieties of salsa. While some have a similar consistency, salsa ranges anywhere from chunky, like our Chunky Salsa with Cilantro and Avocado, to smooth.
YOU SHOULD ALSO TRY:
- Instant Pot Pozole Rojo
- Taco Seasoning
- Cinco De Mayo Recipes
- And more Central and South American recipes!
Pico De Gallo
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, stems and seeds removed, finely diced
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 limes, juice
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, coarse ground, to taste
- Slice the jalapeños in half and remove the seeds by holding the stem and scooping them out with a spoon. Then, cut off the stem and finely dice the peppers. Add them to the tomatoes.
- Next, add the chopped onion and cilantro to the bowl.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Then, squeeze the lime over salsa, and stir to combine.
- The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.