Get fresh pico de gallo on the table with just five ingredients: ripe tomatoes, white onion, jalapeños, cilantro, and the juice of a lime come together as a perfect topping or garnish.
Pico De Gallo
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, stems and seeds removed, finely diced
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 limes, juice
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, coarse ground, to taste
- Dice the tomatoes and add them to a mixing bowl.
- Slice the jalapeños in half and remove the seeds by holding the stem and scooping them out with a spoon. Then, cut off the stem and finely dice the peppers. Add them to the tomatoes.
- Next, add the chopped onion and cilantro to the bowl.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Then, squeeze the lime over salsa, and stir to combine.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Tomatoes: Good salsa begins with great tomatoes. As a result, I use Roma tomatoes in this recipe since they have less liquid than other varieties of tomato.
- Onion: I use white onions for this recipe.
- Jalapeño: When making this salsa for large groups of people, jalapeños are my chili of choice since they’re not as spicy as others. If you love jalapeños but crave more spice, leave more of the seeds and membrane intact when chopping them. If you’re sensitive to spice, I suggest using only half of the jalapeño.
- Cilantro: This highly debated herb flavors the side, but leave it out if it’s not your thing.
- Lime: Lime preserves and flavors the side.
- Salt + Pepper
HOW TO MAKE PICO DE GALLO
Dice the tomatoes and add them to a mixing bowl.
Slice the jalapeños in half and remove the seeds by holding the stem and scooping them out with a spoon. Then, cut off the stem and finely dice the peppers. Add them to the tomatoes.
Next, add the chopped onion and cilantro to the bowl.
Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Then, squeeze the lime over salsa, and stir to combine.
Craving fresh, homemade salsa?
Try one of these favorites from the Jamil Ghar.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS SALSA
What is pico de gallo made of?
I make this traditional Mexican side with classic ingredients like tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime, salt, and pepper.
What to eat with pico de gallo?
- Tortilla Chips + Crackers
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Blackened Mahi-Mahi
- Carne Asada Street Tacos
- Scrambled eggs + Omelet
- Chopped Salad
- Mexican Rice
- Burrito Bowls
- Cheese and Onion Enchiladas
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Carne Asada Tacos
Can you explain the different- pico de gallo vs. salsa?
Pico de gallo is a salsa medley made of fresh, chopped ingredients thrown together and seasoned with lime, salt, and pepper. Pico tends to have far less liquid than other varieties of salsa. While some have a similar consistency, salsa ranges anywhere from chunky, like our chunky salsa with cilantro and avocado, to smooth.
How do I store the leftovers?
Salsa will keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.