McDonald’s Big Mac Sauce Recipe – It’s surprising how much controversy surrounds Big Mac Sauce, specifically when it comes to its ingredients. From what I’ve gathered, many agree that ketchup and French dressing have no place in the sauce, and I have to agree! I am not kidding when I say this copycat recipe is the closest to Big Mac Sauce I’ve ever tasted.
WHAT IS BIG MAC SAUCE?
Big Mac Sauce was made by McDonald’s specifically for their Big Mac burger, composed of two beef patties stacked between three buns, topped with finely chopped onions, shredded lettuce, cheddar cheese, and the signature Big Mac Sauce; this sauce has a uniquely sweet and tangy flavor that perfectly complements the sandwich.
Fun fact, Reader’s Digest suggests that in the original 1968 advertisements for the Big Mac, the delicious sauce carried the name ‘secret sauce.’ It wasn’t until 1974 it was officially introduced with the iconic name it has today through a catchy jingle.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Mayonnaise: Use a high-quality mayonnaise as the base for the sauce, aka Duke’s Mayonnaise (I live in North Carolina); use light or low-fat mayonnaise if you prefer a healthier version, but it may alter the taste and texture slightly.
- Mustard: Yellow mustard works best, but use Dijon or whole-grain mustard for a bit of a twist.
- Sweet Pickle Relish: Although it’s more readily available, refrain from the temptation of using dill relish; it will alter the flavor of the sauce. Instead, use sweet pickle relish! It is essential to creating our McDonald’s Big Mac Sauce Recipe; you can still make a substitute if you don’t have sweet relish by mincing sweet pickles and adding 1-2 tablespoons of brine.
- Vinegar: I love distilled white vinegar in the sauce, but you can also use white wine vinegar.
- Spices: Finish our McDonald’s Big Mac Sauce Recipe with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, black pepper, sugar, and a hint of turmeric.
- Xanthan Gum: Xanthan gum thickens the sauce, but leave it out if you prefer.
HOW TO MAKE OUR MCDONALD’S BIG MAC SAUCE RECIPE
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl.
Whisk to incorporate. If you want a smoother sauce, you can use an immersion blender.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, pair it with one of these tasty Dinners and Appetizers!
HOW TO USE THIS SAUCE
- Homemade Big Macs, Turkey Smash Burgers, Air Fryer Chicken Burgers, Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Burger Bowls
- Chicken Sandwich
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets, Chicken Strips
- French Fries, Roasted Potatoes
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- Refrigerate – Store leftovers in an airtight container; it will keep for up to two weeks. Here’s a pro tip for making the dip last longer; instead of dipping directly into the container, I recommend scooping out the amount you want or pouring it into a separate bowl. That way, you can keep your dip fresh and delicious for as long as possible. Enjoy!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is McDonald’s Big Mac sauce made of?
A McDonald’s executive chef released a video sharing all the secrets for making Big Mac at home, including a basic recipe for the sauce using simple pantry ingredients. His sauce includes mayonnaise, mustard, sweet relish, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
Although his recipe is simple and delicious, I prefer the sauce with the addition of distilled white vinegar, sugar, and turmeric, as is reflected in our McDonald’s Big Mac Sauce Recipe.
Is Big Mac sauce thousand island dressing?
McDonald’s Big Mac Sauce does contain ingredients that are commonly found in Thousand Island dressing. However, the major difference is the exclusion of ketchup or tomatoes in the Big Mac sauce.
MORE SAUCE AND DIP RECIPES:
⭐️ Rate the Recipe
Feedback is Valuable – It helps us improve and update our recipes, so we can provide delicious meals you love. Consider leaving a comment or rating below the recipe card, and feel free to share your adaptations or ask any questions. We cannot wait to hear about what you’ve made.
Mcdonald’s Big Mac Sauce Recipe
- Small Bowl
- Whisk or Immersion Blender
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 3 tablespoons sweet gherkins relish
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, coarse ground
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and whisk to incorporate. If you want a smoother sauce, you can use an immersion blender.
- The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.
Friday 26th of May 2023
Game changer sauce. I love it!
Friday 26th of May 2023
Wow, this copycat Big Mac Sauce recipe is LEGIT! Tasted just like the real deal. Thanks for cracking the code!