Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes – Make crispy and flavorful Hasselback or accordion-sliced potatoes in the air fryer; this recipe is a modern take on an old classic. Golden potatoes crisp as they cook before coating them in zesty garlic butter, resulting in a rich and tasty side dish- the air fryer makes this such a fun and easy way to serve up potatoes!
WHAT ARE HASSELBACK POTATOES?
Hasselback Potatoes are a type of baked potato; the potatoes are thinly sliced but left joined at the bottom so that they fan out slightly as they cook, creating a unique texture where the exterior of the potato becomes golden and crispy- while the inside remains soft and tender.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Potatoes: Yukon Gold or medium-size russet potatoes fan out perfectly as they cook.
- Spices: Season the potatoes with salt and pepper before cooking them in the Air Fryer.
- Garlic Butter: Coat the potatoes in melted butter, sautéed garlic, and fresh parsley.
HOW TO CUT HASSELBACK POTATOES
- Wash the potatoes to remove any dirt.
- Use two chopsticks as a guide for cutting. Place them on either side of the potato to prevent you from slicing through the other side.
- Ensure the slices are 3-5mm apart or use a Hasselback potato guide.
- Then, pat them dry using a paper towel.
Achieve the perfect cook on your Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes by cutting them thinly so they fan out and become crispy. While I don’t currently have a video demonstration of the technique, I highly recommend checking out Chef John’s video for preparing the potatoes, beginning at 1:09. It’s worth noting that he peels the skins beforehand, but doing so is up to you.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER HASSELBACK POTATOES
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Wash the potatoes and place two chopsticks on either side of the potato to use as a guide to prevent you from cutting all the way through the potato. Slice them 3-5mm apart. Then, pat them dry with a paper towel.
Line the air fryer basket with the potatoes.
Cook for 15-20 minutes.
Warm butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Then, add garlic and cook for one minute. Add fresh parsley, and stir to combine.
Pour the mixture over the potatoes to serve.
- Select medium-sized potatoes that are uniform in size to ensure they cook evenly, as larger potatoes may require longer cooking times.
- The Hasselback technique involves making thin slices along the length of the potato without cutting all the way through. Use a sharp knife for evenly-spaced cuts, or use a Hasselback Potato Guide if you have one. You can also place chopsticks on either side of the potato to use as a guide and prevent yourself from cutting through the potato.
- Check the center of the potatoes for tenderness using a fork, as larger potatoes (especially russet potatoes).
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, try one of these Air Fryer favorites!
Serve Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes as a side dish with various toppings; they are a great addition to a weeknight meal, or prepare them for holidays and special occasions.
- Sauce: Skhug, Best Ranch Dressing Recipe, Toum, Horseradish Cream Sauce, Chimichurri with Cilantro, Sour Cream
- Herbs: Chives, Scallions, Parsley, Rosemary
- Protein: Cheddar Cheese, Bleu Cheese Crumbs, Bacon Bits
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- Refrigerate – Store the leftover potatoes in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Freeze – Let the potatoes cool and transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag. Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes will freeze for 3 months.
- Thaw- Before serving, defrost the potatoes in the refrigerator overnight.
- Reheat – Use an air fryer to get the potatoes crispy. Preheat the air fryer to 350℉ (176℃) and cook for about 5 minutes. You can warm them in a microwave, but they won’t be as crispy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where did Hasselback Potatoes originate?
The Hasselback Potato comes from the Hasselbacken Hotel in Stockholm, Sweden, and has gained popularity as a delicious way to prepare potatoes.
Do you peel the potatoes?
It ultimately depends on personal preference, but peeling the potatoes is an option. Personally, I find the crispiness of the potato skins to be the most delicious part of the meal.
How long to cook hasselback potatoes in air fryer?
The cooking time for Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes can vary depending on the size and thickness of the potatoes, as well as the specific air fryer model being used.
• Small/ Medium: 15-20 minutes
• Large: 25-30 minutes
MORE POTATO RECIPES:
⭐️ Rate the Recipe
Feedback is Valuable – It helps us improve and update our recipes, so we can provide delicious meals you love. Consider leaving a comment or rating below the recipe card, and feel free to share your adaptations or ask any questions. We cannot wait to hear about what you’ve made.
Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes
- 4 golden potatoes, thinly sliced, ¼-inch apart and leaving room at the bottom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Wash the potatoes and place two chopsticks on either side of the potato to use as a guide to prevent you from cutting all the way through the potato. Slice them 3-5mm apart. Then, pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Line the air fryer basket with the potatoes and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Warm butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Then, add garlic and cook for one minutes. Add fresh parsley, stir to combine and pour the mixture over the potatoes to serve.
Wednesday 3rd of May 2023
Wednesday 3rd of May 2023
I am so glad you enjoyed them!