Air Fryer Skirt Steak– Try our Air Fryer Skirt Steak recipe with Chimichurri; it’s the easiest way to make a juicy and tender steak without a grill. So if you’re looking for a super quick way to prepare skirt steak, this is it!
WHAT IS SKIRT STEAK?
It’s a delicious cut of beef from below the rib. It’s divided into two simple cuts: the inside and outside skirt. The outside skirt, cut from the outer part of the rib, is the more tender of the two and is often preferred. Meanwhile, the inside skirt, taken from the inner side, can be more tough and is better suited for stir-fry. So, if you want succulent and tender skirt steak, look for the outside skirt if you can find it!
WHY MAKE SKIRT STEAK IN AN AIR FRYER?
Discover how to make perfectly cooked skirt steak with an air fryer when grilling isn’t an option. And while you sacrifice some of the smokiness and grill marks, this delicious, no-mess meal more than makes up for it.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Skirt Steak: For consistent cooking, choose inside skirt steak that’s not too thick; we use inside steak to make this recipe because that is what is most readily available in grocery stores. Look for a steak about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick with marbling for added flavor and juiciness.
- Olive Oil: Adding olive oil to a skirt steak before cooking enhances the flavor and prevents the steak from sticking to the air fryer basket.
- Salt + Pepper: Season the steak with kosher salt and coarse ground pepper.
- Chimichurri Sauce: Chimichurri is a classic pairing with skirt steak; ours incorporates shallots, parsley, cilantro, Fresno chilies, garlic, and olive oil.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER SKIRT STEAK
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
For the Chimichurri with Cilantro:
Combine the shallots, chilies, garlic, parsley, and cilantro in a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice and salt; stir to combine. Slowly pour in the olive oil while stirring the mixture. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
For the Skirt Steak:
Pat the skirt steak with a towel to remove excess moisture. Then coat the steak in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Preheat the Air Fryer to 400℉ (204℃). Add both or half of the skirt steak to the air fryer basket, depending on the size of your air fryer. Cook for 6-8 minutes, flipping the steak halfway through.
Cook for 6-8 minutes, flipping the steak halfway through.
Remove the steaks and let them rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Pat dry the steaks to create a better crust in the air fryer. Excess moisture creates steam and reduces the likelihood of a nice sear.
- Since skirt steak doesn’t have a ton of fat, use high heat to cook the steak. Whether you’re grilling or cooking it in the air fryer, hot and fast is the way to go for the best-tasting skirt steak.
- Don’t skip resting the steak. After cooking, let it rest for 10 minutes; this allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in a juicy, flavorful steak.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, try one of these Air Fryer favorites!
- Asparagus, Corn on Cob
- White Rice, Brown Rice, Vegan Mexican Rice, Quinoa, Rice Pilaf
- Avocado Cucumber Tomato Salad, Cucumber Carrot Salad, Shirazi Salad
- Chimichurri Sauce with Cilantro, Chipotle Sauce, Skhug
- Roasted Potatoes
- Crusty Bread
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- Refrigerate – Store leftovers in an airtight container; it will keep for 3-4 days.
- Freeze – Let the steak cool, then wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and place it in a freezer-safe container or bag. Skirt steak will freeze for 3 months.
- Thaw- Before serving, defrost it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Reheat – Warm the steak in the microwave or air fryer at 350℉ (176℃) for 3 minutes.
- Repurpose- Slice the leftover steak and add it to a corn tortilla, along with fresh Pico De Gallo and top it with either Serrano Crema or Chipotle Sauce. Serve it as fajitas with sautéed peppers and onions. Add it to a salad with greens like romaine, spring mix, or arugula. Or, use it up to make quesadillas or nachos.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What’s the difference between skirt steak and flank steak?
This article from Cook’s Illustrated breaks down the difference well. Skirt steak and flank steak are popular cuts of beef, and while they look similar, they have some differences. Skirt steak is a flat cut from the diaphragm muscle of the cow known for its intense beefy flavor.
Flank steak is a lean cut taken from the abdominal muscles of the cow, with a milder flavor than skirt steak. It also has less fat, making it an excellent option for those who prefer leaner protein. Both steaks cook best over high heat for a short period, and you can use them to make family-favorite meals like fajitas, stir-fries, and tacos like Carne Asada Tacos.
MORE STEAK RECIPES:
⭐️ Rate the Recipe
Feedback is Valuable – It helps us improve and update our recipes, so we can provide delicious meals you love. Consider leaving a comment or rating below the recipe card, and feel free to share your adaptations or ask any questions. We cannot wait to hear about what you’ve made.
Air Fryer Skirt Steak
For the Chimichurri with Cilantro:
- ½ cup parsley, finely diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely diced
- 2 Fresno chilies or jalapeños, seeds and stems removed, finely diced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, (½ lemon)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Skirt Steak:
- 1 pound skirt steak, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper, coarse ground
- Combine the shallots, chilies, garlic, parsley, and cilantro in a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice and salt; stir to combine. Slowly pour in the olive oil while stirring the mixture. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until you're ready to serve.
- Pat the skirt steak with a towel to remove excess moisture.
- Then coat the steak in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 400℉ (204℃). Add both or half of the skirt steak to the air fryer basket, depending on the size of your air fryer. Cook for 6-8 minutes, flipping the steak halfway through.
- Remove the steaks and let them rest for 10 minutes before serving. Slice the skirt steak against the grain and top it with fresh Chimichurri to serve.