Arugula and Spinach Salad – Prepare simple arugula and spinach salad when you need a side dish in a pinch. All you need is fresh spinach, arugula, and sliced radishes to create an in-season base for this salad that pairs perfectly with grilled chicken, shrimp, steak, or roasted vegetables.
DO SPINACH AND ARUGULA GO TOGETHER?
Combine spinach and arugula for a refreshing salad blend that is delicious and healthy. The peppery arugula complements fresh spinach to make a great base you can build upon to make the salad your own. Toss the greens with other in-season ingredients like fresh radishes to brighten and elevate the flavor.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Arugula and Spinach: Use an equal amount of each for the base of this salad that’s full of fresh flavor.
- Radishes: Sliced radishes are a bright and colorful addition to the salad. Plus, they are in season around the same time as spinach and arugula.
- Sherry Shallot Dressing
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS
There are many ways to make an arugula and spinach salad. We provide the base for the salad in this recipe, but there is room to get creative and experiment with tasty additions.
- Fruit: My husband has a sweet tooth, so for his salads, I always add a bit of fruit, like fresh strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, or dried cranberries.
- Nuts and Seeds: Sprinkle nuts and seeds like toasted pecans, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds over the salad for a tasty crunch and added fiber and healthy fat.
- Cheese: Add savoriness to the salad by finishing it with crumbled goat, feta, or bleu cheese. Shaved parmesan would also be delicious.
- Vegetables: Swap out the radishes for other vegetables like thinly sliced red onions, shallots, or bell peppers. Similar to our fall kale salad, you can add air fryer acorn or butternut squash if you prefer vegetables that are a bit more filling.
HOW TO MAKE ARUGULA AND SPINACH SALAD
The full recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Peel, cut, and mince the shallot and fresh garlic. Transfer them to an airtight container.
Stir in the sherry, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper. Then, whisk in the olive oil to emulsify. Set it aside.
Add fresh arugula and spinach to a mixing bowl and toss to incorporate. Top the greens with sliced radishes.
Serve with sherry shallot dressing, and enjoy.
SEARCHING FOR MORE LIKE THIS?
If you love this recipe, pair it with one of these dinner favorites!
DRESSING FOR ARUGULA SPINACH SALAD
I prefer to pair this salad with vinaigrette, like our tangy homemade salad dressing with nutritional yeast or sherry shallot dressing. However, spinach and arugula tossed with homemade pesto are just as delicious.
WHAT PAIRS WELL WITH ARUGULA AND SPINACH?
- Sriracha Salmon, Baked Flounder, Furikake Salmon, Blackened Mahi-Mahi
- Pan-Seared Shrimp
- Lamb Shoulder Chop
- Baked Chicken Thighs with Salmoriglio Sauce
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
- Refrigerate – Store the salad and the dressing in separate containers; they will keep for 3-4 days.
MORE SALAD RECIPES:
Rate the Recipe
Feedback is Valuable – It helps us improve and update our recipes, so we can provide delicious meals you love. Consider leaving a comment or rating below the recipe card, and feel free to share your adaptations or ask any questions. We cannot wait to hear about what you’ve made.
Arugula and Spinach Salad
- Airtight Container
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarse ground
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cups arugula
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 package radishes, washed and sliced
- Peel, cut, and mince the shallot and fresh garlic. Transfer them to an airtight container.
- Stir in the sherry, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper. Then, whisk in the olive oil to emulsify. Set it aside.
- The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.